What is PHP?
- PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
- General-purpose Server-side Scripting Language
- Designed for Web Development (HTML)
- Add flexibility to HTML
- Syntax is similar to ASP, C, Java, Perl
Why use PHP?
- Open Source or Free to use
- Cross platform (Windows/Mac/Linux)
- Powerful and Scalable
- Specifically used for Web Development
- Can be Object Oriented (ver. 5)
- Great Documentation (in many languages)
- Large active developer community like Wordpress, Joomla, PhpBB, etc.
What is needed to practice PHP?
- Web Server
- Text Editor such as Notepad++, Komodo Edit, etc
- Web Browser like Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari etc
- XAMPP (practice php locally / testing using your own computer)